Every day that passes we know more about the effects of the electronic cigarette and everything is worse. It had already been said, but a few days ago, a study published in the journal of the European Society of Cardiology, said without a doubt that electronic cigarettes damage the brain, heart, blood vessels and lungs. From his hand, European cardiologists issued a severe warning about the dangers of these "devices", especially for young people.
Now, a group of Canadian researchers say they have discovered what they believe is a new type of lung injury linked to the vaping of electronic cigarettes. The disease, similar to bronchiolitis obliterans, is different from injuries from the use of vaping products, known as EVALI.
His finding stems from the disease of a 17 year old boy, regular user of electronic cigarettes and THC (the main psychoactive of cannabis). One day he started coughing. Over the weeks, that cough became persistent, to the point that the kid had to be hospitalized.
Got worse. Doctors found in his lungs an injury similar to a disease called bronchiolitis obliterans. The adolescent's health status worsened. He was sent to a transplant center, although finally there was no need to carry it out. The young man keeps recovering and suffers from chronic lung damage.
The young man was close to needing a transplant and suffers chronic lung damage
After ruling out other causes, Canadian researchers have identified as the most likely cause of the lesions of the young liquids used to provide flavor to the cartridges of electronic cigarettes consumed by the teenager.
Dr. Karen Bosma, one of the researchers, says that "this new model of respiratory tract injury disease associated with vaping that causes chronic obstruction seems to be different from the alveolar lesion that characterizes recent cases of EVALI ", (acronym for lung injury associated with the use of electronic cigarettes or vaping products).
The authors of the research, which is published in the Journal of the Canadian Medical Association, added that "this case of acute acute bronchiolitis meant a diagnostic and therapeutic challenge. "